Information and Support > 2 Year Old Funding
2 Year Old Early Education and Childcare Places
FREE Early Education and Childcare Places for Eligible 2 Year Olds
Two year old early education places are a new government initiative allowing eligible two year olds (subject to meeting criteria set by the Government) to access 15 hours per week early education over a minimum of 38 weeks per year.
Eligible children can access their entitlement through a variety of childcare providers including; Day Nurseries, Childminders and Pre-Shool Playgroups.
Eligibility Criteria (September 2013)
Children eligible to access a 2 year old early education and childcare place must meet the following criteria:
- the child comes within the earnings and benefits criteria used to determine eligibility for Free School Meals. Free School Meals Criteria as at September 2013 are:
Parent / main carer must be in receipt of any one or more of the following:
- Income support;
- Income-based jobseeker’s allowance;
- Income related employment and support allowance;
- Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999;
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit;
- Child Tax Credit but not Working Tax Credit and have an annual income not exceeding £16,090 (as of April 2012), as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (the Working Tax Credit four-week run-on – i.e. the payment someone receives for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Or, the child is looked after by the local authority
In addition eligibility is based on the date of birth of the child as shown in the table below:
Children who have met the eligibility criteria can continue to receive a place once they have taken it up even if there is a change in circumstances and until the child qualifies for their 3 and 4 year old early education and childcare place.
How do I apply?
- Follow this link to the Doncaster Council Website Online Application
- Print off the Application Form from the top right of this page
- Ask your local Children's Centre for a leaflet which includes an application form that you can fill in and send to us by post
- Speak to Doncaster Council's Families Information Service on Freephone 0800 138 4568
Follow this link for 3 and 4 Year Old Funding
Last Updated: 12/02/2014